Sunday, December 7, 2008

Stara Zburivka Trip Pictures


I've posted the SB pictures from this week's visit. I've been asked by a few people about the pictures, so I knew I better get on the ball. Many apologies to my buddy, Austin! You can find them in a new folder called "Trip to SB" in our photo link, over on the right.

I bought a new 2 gig thumbdrive in Kiev today for less than $10 USD. You can get everything here in Ukraine, including the regions, that you get in the US. Right now the rate is 7.2 which enables the dollar to go further, but it is bad for Ukraine.

The kids are excited to come home tomorrow. This is the last night they will spend at the Deitski Dom! Julia was especially happy! She was smiling and dancing when we showed up for our 15 minute visit. She got two goodie bags today because she asked Momma for an extra one yesterday.

Today we took Nadia and Kolya to the International Church in Kiev. It was interesting to see them out of their comfort zone and in a setting that they will experience in America. Everyone speaks English at the church and on several occasions Nadia ducked behind Heidi's back when she was introduced to someone. She was not the usual "in charge" big sister that she usually is. She asked me more than a few times, "Let's go!"

On Monday we are taking the kids and are going to meet up with Jim and Kari Volf who are coming in to start their adoption journey. Actually, now that I think of it, that's the name of their blog. And I thought that I was being original!

We start the paperchase on Tuesday to get home, we'll keep you posted on the progress. It's raining out and it is 9pm, time to head home and get a good night's sleep with the rain drumming on the tin roof of our apartment. I love that kind of sleep, don't you!

6 comments:

Rachel & Michael said...

I'm so happy for you all. Keep us updated! and good luck on your paper chase to go home!

Twyla, John, Duncan, Mari, and Misha said...

We are so happy that you get the kids tomorrow! The Sanitorium sounds like a nightmare - poor Julia! They will all be warm, safe, well fed, and clean with you guys so soon! The time in Kyiv will be a breeze and then you will be home!

Tell Kari and Jim "Hi"! When last I saw Tatum and Kari at a Croc's Warehouse Sale at Twin Peaks, Misha was melting down (literally -too hot in his bib overalls after school) and crying! One of those embarrassing moments when your child has a temper-tantrum in public - exacerbated by his limited language skills and his Ukrainian Orphan strategy of screaming at the top of his lungs!

After we determined his correct "Croc" size, Grandma whisked him to the car where he happily pretended to "drive" while his siblings shopped! He is still overstimulated easily, even after more than a month, and working on his manners.

We can relate to the testing and boundary searching. Kolya's crying is fairly normal for 9 year olds - its a tough and tender age as we have found with Duncan.

Good luck with the paperchase and souvenir shopping!

The Barretts

Matt and Aimee said...

Had to post today just so I could enter "ballbuster" in the word verification field! :)

Amy said...

Such exciting news!
Enjoy your last few days of "hurry up and wait!" Hopefully, you will be home really soon!

Best wishes!

Debora Hoffmann said...

I'm so excited for you to all be together! Keep us updated. :-)

Thank you for the pictures of SB. Those kids are so precious! I feel so blessed to have spent time with them this summer. I didn't tear up looking at the photos...until later on I heard SCC's "All I Really Want for Christmas" and just wept for them and prayed that God would bring them all wonderful Christian families.

Matt and Aimee said...

Hello,
I have just spent some free time reading your last few days of blogs. Anya is in her English class this morning so I have a few hours to myself. I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law, I am certainly praying for him and his wife and kids.
I hope you are able to obtain your passports and birth certificates quickly and get your family home. Hang in there and keep focused by this time in the journey Matt and I both took turns melting down, it just gets to the point when you are done, sounds as if you may be getting there yourselves.
Love,
Aimee

About Us

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Heidi loves to play sand volleyball, sail and garden. Felix loves to fly at the local aeroclub, sail and fish.