Thursday, April 16, 2009

Praying for a miracle!


Photos courtesy of the Jones family & Karen Springs

Last weekend, we talked to Zina again. Rimma is once again in the sanatorium, this time for a shorter stay and as a follow up to her TB test issue from last summer. Since we could not find a translator and we had promised Zina a call that day, Nadia served as translator after a little coaxing. Initially she was nervous and afraid, but before too long, Nadia and Zina were talking and giggling like the sisters that they will be one day. It was a sweet phone call and a big relief to hear these two accepting of one another. Rimma, Julia, and Kolya will follow if the two "big sisters" get along.

We continue to pray for a miracle in Z's registration. We have learned that her paperwork is in the hands of social workers in the area and that once their work is completed, a court date will be established for her and a few other kids in the same situation at the orphanage. We have been told by our contact that these social workers "are very efficient and law-abiding...they will not take longer time than it is provided by the law". This is very good news! Consistently pushing and bringing Z's plight to the forefront has brought her a few steps closer to her and our dream of adoption. As of late, Heidi and I have been a little panicky and worried about the apparent stalemate we all were in, but I have to remind myself constantly that this is God’s timing and plan, not Felix’s! His will be done according to his purpose.

So, the next step will be to hear about Z’s court date and her registration at the local level as being an orphan deprived of parental care. Hopefully this will occur sometime this summer. From there it will take about 2 months for her to get into the SDA system where she will be adoptable exclusively by her countrymen for a period of one year. (Rimma is in this stage now). The girls, being of age, will have to give consent for adoption. Both have consistently stated their desire to be in our family. If the girls change their minds and want to go with a Ukrainian family, we would be very happy for them, of course. After this year is up, Zina will be available for international adoption. At present ‘guess-ti-mation” this would be Summer-Fall 2010. Please pray for Z’s process!

Rimma, on the other hand, will be eligible for international adoption sometime around the December-January time frame. She was successfully registered this past Fall 2008. Here-in lays another source of angst. We will have the funds to go again for another adoption, but not two. Do we start our dossier and go after Rimma and borrow/save for a third trip to get Zina? Or do we leave Rimma in place and bring them both home at the same time?

Prudent minds would suggest the latter and get more “bang for the buck” and only one more trip. Vacation time is strained and there are children at home to care for. However, there are (but there has always been) indications that Ukraine may change the laws or cease international adoption in the near future. Experts say that this is illegal and cannot be done overnight, but those who know Ukrainian parliamentary whims will attest to the volatile nature that is Ukrainian adoption. Therefore, should we “for-sure” rescue one while hoping for the best circumstances for the other? A few Ukrainian contacts feel that we should get Rimma out; Zina included who told us that “…we should get Rimma home before it is too late, even if her (Zina’s) paperwork isn’t ready”.

I don't know if I could do this...leave without Zina. I would feel horrible and it would kill me to see her in tears as we drive away from the orphanage without her. More importantly, what about Z's feelings as she is yet again, left behind? For these tumultuous questions, I pray for and seek guidance from you our friends and from our Lord and Savior. Again, please pray for Rimma and Zina.

~Felix~

13 comments:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

What a tough situation! I pray for a miracle for you guys.

Natasha said...

Felix, Heidi - I SO feel your pain! As you probably already know, I've spoken to my facilitator about your situation and she's stated the same thing - you should get Rimma out as soon as you can. Felix, being there for such a long time and understanding what kids are doing, you would be saving her from a lot. Every day counts and she's being influenced by others every minute of each day. And that question, What If Ukraine changes their law? Then you don't get a chance to save either one of them and I think that might be harder to deal with. We will be praying that this doesn't happen and that you are able to bring Zina home late next year. She seems really sweet.
Blessings,
Natasha

Kari said...

We are praying for your girls and wisdom for you and Heidi. This is such a difficult decision if you should make one or two trips.

MamaPoRuski said...

Praying for finances, peace and wisdom. And because we too had to wait for O's paperwork issue to be worked out,despite having missing limbs, a condition allowed to have exceptions under there law-I can only say that no matter how you plan, God just might give you options you cannot imagine now! God Bless!

The McEacherns said...

What a predicament! I know that God has SO put these two girls on your hearts, and He doesn't do that without providing a plan! We'll be praying that things go smoothly on the paperwork end, and that God gives you wisdom and provision to complete the work that He started!

david.cottrell1 said...

I hope everything works for the child - my apologies for this brief comment but my old eyes can't read your blog because of the colors - just can't see the words well enough.

David Cottrell www.ukraineorphans.net

Rolan, Eileen, Josh and Ransom said...

I've been wondering. I think you read my mind! I remember liking Zina the first time I saw her and I didn't know you had already fallen in love with her. It feels like a piece of the Roge' Village is still in Ukraine. Yes. Many prayers for God's wisdom and maybe some skywriting too!

Debbie said...

We stopped right where we were and prayed for Zina, Rimma, and you guys. We know nothing is impossible for God, and that He will give you wisdom, too.

Heidi and Felix said...

I'm very sorry to the few people who let me know that they couldn't read the blog due to the color issue. I would rather have you read and comment than look at pretty colors. I hope the new, present background allows you to see the print better. Please return and read when you can. God bless you all for your support & prayers.

Felix

david.cottrell1 said...

Thank you thank you for the color change - perfect. Now I can read.

Heidi and Felix please accept this old man's comment for what it's worth - you decide. In this you control only one thing - what you can do now. You can save one child now and work hard to save the other as soon as possible. That is all you control. You might gamble on the second child's life by waiting but the gamble is to ease your own anxiety and sorrow in physically seeing her left behind.

Apparently it will be much easier on you to receive a notice long distance that one or both can not be adopted.

It must be about the children first and forever. If one or both in the near future can not be adopted then a larger and more demanding challenge will have been issued to you:

To remain their family at a distance with regular and life long financial support, care packages, gifts, cards, letters, money for medical care, education, a place live and to build a village of loving people around them, with all the love and devotion you can pour into it.

Put it in your minds now that no matter what, you will be their forever family unless and until someone else can adopt - most likely there in Ukraine. You still can remain their family as Aunt, Uncle, Cousins, etc.

A tough challenge. Only you and God know if you can act now with a total commitment to both no matter what.

I know you will make the correct decision - what that is this old guy doesn't know. I think you do.

God Bless,
David Cottrell www.ukraineorphans.net

Matthew Nasekos said...

Feel free to put a link to our blog. We look forward to reading you blog.
In Christ Alone-
Sheila

Staci and Damon said...

My heart breaks for you and these girls and your struggles to get them home! I have to agree with the McEacherns - God would not have put these girls on your heart without providing a plan. It may seem like now two trips aren't as feasible financially, but we can attest to the fact that God brings people from all over to give support. I will definitely be praying for your decision!

Have you been in contact with Olga? I keep thinking that I need to email her, but then I forget to do it. If you do, please tell her we said hello. I do plan to email her, I just never feel like I have the time to sit down and type out what I am sure would be a LONG email.

We would love to meet up with you sometime! Sometimes I forget that my Ukrainian adoption blogger friends are people I've never met in person!
Staci

Anonymous said...

It's your decision...of course you will find a way... My opinion, however, is to get Rimma home as soon as possible. Meanwhile, there are so many praying for miracles in this situation---I don't even know you, but feel so riveted by the stories you tell. There is a lot of support out there---the funds will come when the time is right. Please don't let worries about future financial issues or time issues influence you to let even one unnecessary day pass between your family and your sweet daughter. She needs you. Keep pressing on.

About Us

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Heidi loves to play sand volleyball, sail and garden. Felix loves to fly at the local aeroclub, sail and fish.