Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 43 - Saying Goodbye


I picked up both Rimma and Lizzie this morning at 10:30 am, sharp. Today,a young girl has walked out of an orphanage never to return and she is on her way to a new life, a family who loves her, and to a forever home in the USA. Rimma Roge is an orphan NO MORE.

We had our last day out in the town of Kherson. I held it together for the whole day, right up until the last hour. I had an uneasy feeling all day and at 6 pm I lost it...in front of my girls...at Cafe Monia. I'm sure the staff was wondering if I didn't like the food.

There I sat sobbing like a baby, both girls patting me on the back and telling me, "It's OK, dad. It's OK". Imagine! Them, consoling me! The cry virus spread like a wildfire and soon enough, I had Lizzie crying, unintentionally I assure you.

We just dropped Lizzie off at the orphanage. She sobbed against my shoulder, her tummy trembling uncontrolably. I held her for a few minutes until her favorite caretaker arrived. She took her and "mothered" her. I asked her to stay with Lizzie for the rest of the night, she assured me she would. I left and went outside to compose myself. No dice, I cried the 15 minute walk to the Bible House.

The train leaves in an hour and we are sitting now with our facilitator, waiting on the taxi. Next post will be from Heidi or from me in Kiev.

It was a great day and a hard day. I am taking one daughter home and leaving another behind. Everyone, please pray for Lizzie.

8 comments:

jandt said...

I told Teresa earlier today that when you said it was all done but the crying that we wouldn't pull your Man Card for crying over temporarily leaving a daughter behind. It is amazing how quickly we become attached to these incredible kids. Safe travels and prayers for all the Roges..Colorado, Kiev and Kherson.

Anonymous said...

Crying here for your precious daughter and your entire family. This is a wonderful day of new beginnings, yet I can't help but feel such sorrow for your sweet girl who must wait another year for her day to come. I will keep Lizzie in my thoughts and prayers.
Safe travels home
Kelly Selkirk-OH

The McEacherns said...

We'll be praying for all of you. I'm sure that leaving Lizzie there was gut-wrenching. Remember that that's how our Heavenly Father feels towards us, and I'm sure He is caring for Lizzie right now. Blessings and safe (first class!) travels!

Kevin and Pam said...

I can't even imagine how sad that must have been for all of you. I got tears in my eyes just reading your post. Prayers and blessings!

Mayme said...

Felix you are doing a very brave action today. Remain strong, free with you love & feelings in front of your children so they see what it means to love with your whole heart. Though this wasn't easy by any definition your crying showed Lizzie how much you really love her and are not just saying it. It will mean something to her in the long run that you were able to show her the depth of your feelings for her. Travel safe. Mayme

Rolan and Eileen said...

I'm so glad you are a softy, Felix. While its hard for kids to see their parents cry, your tears will always be a golden treasure to Lizzie. I hope she understands how much you love her and holds on to those tears as a promise of your return. Are hearts are broken too. We are praying for her.

Anonymous said...

Oh how sad. I cannot imagine....

Stephanee&Zach said...

We are praying for her until she is safely home. Thank you for sharing your story. It has been a joy to read what God has done and continues to do in your family. May He richly bless you guys and I truly hope our families meet one day.

About Us

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Heidi loves to play sand volleyball, sail and garden. Felix loves to fly at the local aeroclub, sail and fish.