Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dossier Submitted!

Our facilitator notified us today that our dossier was submitted, yesterday. It will only be a little time now before we know if 1.) the SDA accepts it as complete, and 2.) they notify us of our referral date. We expect that date to be in mid-January, which is what we have been told is Lizzie's availability date. We would eagerly travel before then to get her should some time be waived, but alas, this is never the case with the SDA.

Our hearts are happy and troubled all at the same time due to the recent vote on international adoption in Ukraine. It seems that the moratorium would actually be a halt to adoptions for countries do not have a signed bilateral agreement on adoption with Ukraine. I know of only two countries, Israel and Spain, that have signed such an agreement and even those agreements are in question now as new language is being requested. Didn't the Hague convention on international adoption hammer all this out years ago?

Right now there are two schools of thought.

On one hand, facilitators of friends are writing and saying that the second vote (they will need three) is only a political move and is a rumor at this point as to it's time and occurrence. They speak of the process of adoptions currently ongoing as routine and nothing out of the ordinary happening and this process could take months. Everyone agrees that we as a collective should call and write our representatives and urge them to write and pass a bilateral agreement (who's language is not known and could change at the whim of Ukrainian law and not required at this time). Good luck getting a US politician/government entity to do something that isn't required yet. I pray that these people are right. If Ukraine follows Russia's example, adoptions will continue as this "magical" bilateral agreement is worked could take years.

On the other hand, I sense a bit of concern in our facilitator's e-mail today. While he/she wishes us good tidings in our process and encourages us to keep pushing along, I also get the sense that he/she is certainly preparing us should the adoption stall. Our facilitator has always been terrific in telling us the news, both good and bad, promptly and accurately. It is why we hired them a second time. It may not be the news you want to hear, but you will hear it from them and you will be the second person they e-mail or call. Also, they just "get things done" and that's true value with your adoption dollar...that's worth something.

Your prayers for the children of Ukraine and ALL prospective adoptive parents are appreciated! Pray for those who sponsor this law and for those who will vote for it. At the least, pray for continued adoptions while agreements are made should this law pass. Amen.


Just Another Day In Paradise said...

Congratulations! We continue to pray... Are you willing to share what your facilitator said?
I pray they will follow suit with Russia and allow adoptions to continue... We're just too close, and these kids need homes...

Journeymark Cards & Gifts said...

Hello Heidi,

I was so grateful and saddened to read your blog today. You see, we were going to send our Dossier and fee today, to get started on translation. We are still pending 3pieces of paperwork, including the I-600A form.

Had I not read the update on your blog, we would have submitted the Dossier and $5,000. I had to find out from you, not our agency.

While my heart is saddened, this has been an emotional roller coaster for us, and I believe we may halt the process. We prayed that if the moratorium was to take place, it would be a very clear answer for us.

Please know that as you continue the process to bring your daughter home, our prayers will be covering all of you. I am so proud of you all for moving forward in faith and trust.

Many blessings,

The McEacherns said...

Congrats on getting submitted! You know we're praying about the whole vote thing. While it would make me a little bummed to get delayed, my heart would be broken for Lizzie and others like her... kids who have a family committed to them. Praying this all works out for God's glory and the good of His children near and far.

Kevin and Pam said...

I can sure understand your concerns! I will be praying for you guys that you can get your girl home soon without any issues! Blessings!

Heidi and Felix said...


I don't know that I would stop the process with your adoption, going there and getting children home is a charge from God and I wouldn't let anything deter me...believe in the power of prayer!

As for $5000 for a dossier translation...WOW! We have never sent our facilitator a dime prior to landing in Ukraine. He has always worked for us on the premise that we will use his services once we get there. Also, it was he and his team who got both of our girls registered in the first place and the same was true...we didn't pay for that. He was rewarded by us hiring him to do both adoptions at a later date.


Michael said...

I wouldn't send $5,000 either! We paid our facilitator in Kyiv for translation and the work he has done to date - but certainly not that much!

As to stopping your process - I wouldn't do that if you feel called to adopt - God ordains all things - and until he stops your adoption, press on! Maybe you need to look at using a different facilitator though...?

Here is the US Department of State posting on its website last night:

Adoption Notice

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues


November 3, 2010

The Ukrainian legislature is in the process of voting on a bill that would suspend all intercountry adoptions from countries without bilateral agreements with Ukraine, including adoptions from the United States. The bill passed a first reading and vote, but must still pass a second reading and be signed into law by the president. The second reading could take place in the next few weeks. If the bill passes the second reading, it may be signed into law as early as the end of 2010. The draft bill appears to include suspension of all adoptions in progress.

The Department is will post updates as information becomes available.

Journeymark Cards & Gifts said...

Felix and Michael, thank you for your encouragement and feedback. I think in all the emotion, I did not describe the fees very well. We are working with an adoption agency here in the US and the next fee is due to them for helping to prepare our Dossier. The fee for translation is $1,000. Are you and have you done an independent adoption(s)?

More than anything, we appreciate the guidance in saying, "press on." We have heard this several times today and plan to speak with our agency on Monday. We will be praying this weekend. Thanks again!

We will continue to pray over you as well.

Heidi and Felix said...


Yes, we have done independent adoptions. However, all adoptions in Ukraine are independent. Ukraine does not decognize "foriegn" adoption agencies, which is why you hire a facilitator in Ukraine to take you the rest of the way (once you have all your stateside stuff done). The state of Colorado requires one to hire a state approved agency to tackle the necessary requirements for the USA. I hear this is not the case with most states, tho.

Indeed, PRESS ON! God will hear our prayers and this certainly isn't the first time we have faced adversidy in the adoption process!

Blessings to you and your endeavors!


About Us

My photo
Longmont, Colorado, United States
Heidi loves to play sand volleyball, sail and garden. Felix loves to fly at the local aeroclub, sail and fish.